– Write too many words if your English is average (aim for 250-265)
– Use contractions such as “don’t”, “shouldn’t”, etc
– Overuse connecting words (assessors expect that!)
– Jump from one idea to the next: link, link, link!
– Mix arguments “for” and “against” in the same paragraph
– Use the wrong tone (essays are always formal)
– Use abbreviations
– Repeat words or overuse primitive verbs (does, makes, gets)
– Cross out many things
– Write illegibly
– Use idioms too frequently or inappropriately
– Write in a babyish manner (bad grammar and poorly developed ideas)
– Become a clock victim (constantly look at the clock and panic)
– Start writing without a plan
– Forget to leave a blank line between paragraphs
– Use generalisations (“All”, “Every”) as this reflects an immature way of thinking
– Use simple sentences if you want a high score
– Use cliches as they are often too informal
– Use ‘lazy’ expressions (“and so on”, “etc”).
– Copy part of task question
– Agree with both sides – choose one side to make your opinion clear
– Let adrenaline make you arrogant
– Go off topic
A guide to essay and report writing . Stock words and phrases . point = something said or stated expressing a particular fact or idea. "That's a very good point .Tying It All Together: 23 Transition Words for Seamless…And let me tell you, the French love their transition words ! Not only do they keep you from sounding robotic, but they're also the key to writing effective essays ,Â Online Guides: Sentence Starters, transitional and other useful…Academic Writing . ▽ Below is a list of possible sentence starters, transitional and other words that may be useful. To introduce. This essay discusses …LearnEnglish | British Council | Essays :…Here are some groups of words that commonly occur in Essays , with I have an exam in next month in which i have to write essay of 500 words on some Transition Words to Use Between Paragraphs -…17 Jun 2016 Using transition words to improve the flow of your work is very important to 100 Transition Words . Learn to Write a 5 Paragraph Essay Â Linking words Although some of these words have already been mentioned as sentence connectors, they can also be used to develop coherence within a paragraph, that isÂ Eight Useful Phrases for IELTS Writing Task 2 |…12 Mar 2017 What if I told you that 10% of your IELTS essay writing could be SOLVED with these 7 useful phrases for IELTS Writing Task 2? I'm sure you willÂ Writing introductions - Library and Learning…7 Nov 2008 This essay deals with the economic and political decline in Britain's world and expressions which clearly show the plan behind your writing ,Â Ending the Essay : Conclusions - Harvard Writing …Conclude with a sentence composed mainly of one-syllable words . an essay on the novel Ambiguous Adventure, by the Senegalese writer Cheikh HamidouÂ Reporting words - Monash UniversityThis resource is intended to help students develop skills to write literature reviews. Essay writing .. Reporting verbs or expressions are used to report on what other authors have done: whether they have made claims, argued a case,Â 30 Useful French Essay Phrases in French - Talk in…29 Apr 2015 Are you struggling to write essays in French? In this article, I have shared a list of 30 useful French words and phrases that will help you createÂ Words and phrases to avoid in academic…6 Feb 2016 This article presents a list of words and phrases that you should normally avoid in academic writing .Formal Writing Voice - IVCCA formal tone helps establish the writer's respect for the audience and suggests Using these expressions in analytical and persuasive essays can make theÂ Useful expressions to write an essay -…Introduction Comparisons Enumerating arguments Refering to Consequences Summarizing https:///watch?v=3vqQZvFZUVc.